What is a VelaShape III treatment?
VelaShape III is a noninvasive body contouring treatment that’s been cleared by the FDA for temporary cellulite reduction, as well as the circumferential reduction of the thighs and abdomen. It can be used after body contouring procedures as a deep massage to facilitate lymphatic drainage. Velashape III is more advanced that its previous versions: velasmooth/velashapes I and II.
The most commonly treated areas are the thighs, buttocks, upper arms, and stomach. It can also reduce excess fat and mildly sagging skin under the chin.
Unlike most cellulite treatments that use one modality to treat the appearance of dimpled skin, VelaShape uses a combination of four: infrared light, bipolar radiofrequency (RF) energy, massage, and gentle suction. The suction brings the skin closer to the energy source inside the handheld device, working with the massage to help relax and stretch the stiff fibrous bands under the skin that cause the dimpling and orange peel texture known as cellulite.
The infrared and RF energies heat the skin, tightening tissue and making fat cells shrink and, in some cases, die. The heat reduces skin laxity by tightening the existing underlying dermal collagen fibers and stimulating collagen and elastin production, which builds more firmness and elasticity over time.
What are the pros and cons of VelaShape III?
- Treatments don’t take very long. The procedure itself typically only lasts 20 to 30 minutes, though it can take longer for multiple areas.
- There’s no downtime afterward.
- The procedure is, by most accounts, painless.
- It works well in combination with other procedures.
- It's safe for all skin types and tones.
- You’ll need multiple treatments—usually three to six sessions, spaced a week or so apart—to see results. Candela Medical (the makers of VelaShape) say you'll see results in just three treatments, but multiple it can take up to six.
- Your results will be temporary, and you’ll need three to four follow-up sessions every year to maintain them.
- Results are temporary and can be subtle.
Does VelaShape get rid of cellulite?
There’s no permanent cellulite removal solution, but VelaShape III can improve its appearance. Cellulite is caused by fibrous bands, called septa, that run vertically between the skin and fascia. These bands bundle fat into honeycomb-like compartments. When they stiffen in response to hormonal shifts, they pull the skin down and compress the fat until it bulges out of these compartments, causing the appearance of dimples and pits on the skin’s surface.
VelaShape's suction and massage rollers relax the bands, while the RF energy shrinks the fat cells in the treatment area.The combination creates a temporary reduction in the appearance of cellulite. Follow up treatments are recommended every 6 months
How Much does it cost?
The cost is $200 per session or package of 6 for $1000. Sessions can be 1-2 a week for 3 weeks.