How does the Diolite® Laser work? A laser generates an intense beam of light to deliver energy to a specific site, through a small hand piece connected to the laser. The laser light is absorbed by blood vessels and melanin/pigment (black or brown pigment found in the skin) causing destruction of facial veins and sun spots by heating unwanted cells while leaving healthy cells intact.*
What CAN the Diolite Laser treat?
Vascular lesion such as:
1) Telangectasias ( tiny red blood vessels) usually on the cheeks or nose area. 2) Cherry or Spider angiomas which are usually little red spots or web like blood vessels
What types of pigmented lesions can be treated with the Laser?
1) Lentigines- which are flat brown or black spots similar to a beauty mark 2) FLAT moles that are dark and small 3) Dark brown age or sun spots, that are not larger than the size of a pencil head eraser
What CAN NOT be treated by the laser?
1) Leg Veins--too deep for the laser to penetrate
2) Some purple veins are too deep also
3) Multiple small indistinguisable red vessels are better candidate for IPL treatments
4) Light color moles, freckles from childhood or Raised moles will not improve.
5) Moles larger than 5 mm ( size of a pencil head eraser) are not treated
6) Recently tanned or dark skin types are not good candidates
What should I expect during the treatment? The laser handpiece will direct a beam of laser light to the lesion. Each session is 5-15 minutes long. Some patients report feeling a slight stinging sensation during the treatment but NO ANESTHETIC IS NECESSARY. This is followed by some redness that usually goes away in two to four hours. There will not be any purple skin discoloration, no peeling or bruised appearance to the treated skin. Postoperative care is minimal. We suggest that you stay out of the direct sun during the next two to three weeks and use SPF 30.*
What are the Results?
The diolite laser is excellent to use for the appropriate vascular or pigmented lesions. Approximately 60-65% of the lesions should clear with one session. 1-2 sessions are recommended depending on the number of lesions present and the desired reduction. The darker the pigmented lesions, the better the results will render. Lasers work by attraction to colors, like wearing a black shirt in sunlight, you will absorb all the heat energy, a white shirt will not absorb light. Many vascular lesions immediately disappear at the time of treatment. Please be advised that vascular lesions can be proliferative, that is , they continue to develop and re-grow as older lesions are destroyed. Final treatment results should be evident within 10 to14 days after treatment for vascular lesions and within 5-10 days after treatment for pigmented lesions. In the meantime, normal daily activities can be resumed with only a slight redness evident at the treatment area. You can return to work that day.*
How Do you prepare for a treatment session?We ask that you stop using all exfoliating agents ( Retin-A, Renova, Differin, Alpha hydroxy acids) for 5 days before, and resume these agents no sooner than a week after. We ask that you remove make up and moisturizers before each session.
* individual results may vary